Human Spirit, Dialogue: Live at the Earshot Jazz Festival
Jorgensen, Marriott and Taylor have a special genius for for taking the standard jazz quintet … and breathing new life into the format.
DAN MCCLENAGHAN, ALLABOUTJAZZ.COM
With a combined 14 albums as leaders, and appearing on dozens more as sidemen, Thomas Marriott, Mark Taylor and Matt Jorgensen have put a strong stamp on the sound of modern jazz that has come out of Seattle and Origin Records over the last decade. Dialogue, their first release under the group name Human Spirit, features 8 original compositions recorded during a sold-out, two-night run at Tula’s Jazz Club in Seattle during the 2011 Earshot Jazz Festival. Pushing the direction of the band further forward are special guests and frequent collaborators, pianist Orrin Evans and bassist Essiet Essiet.
1. In Unity (Matt Jorgensen) 6:37
2. Stepford and Son (Mark Taylor) 11:55
3. Reversal of Fortune (Thomas Marriott) 9:13
4. Song for Samuel (Thomas Marriott) 6:54
5. After Hours (Mark Taylor) 10:03
6. Ridgecrest (Matt Jorgensen) 10:22
7. 148 Lexington (Thomas Marriott) 8:08
8. Pelham Gardens (Thomas Marriott) 6:20
Human Spirit is:
THOMAS MARRIOTT – trumpet
MARK TAYLOR – alto saxophone
MATT JORGENSEN – drums
with special guests:
ORRIN EVANS – piano
ESSIET ESSIET – bass
Comments are closed.